Candidates sometimes don’t get the results that they hoped for. If this happens to you, try not to worry too much. Your results may still still open up many different exciting opportunities for your further education and future career.

However, in some cases, you may want to consider re-marking or retakes – for example, if your teacher predicted a much higher grade. 

Re-take an exam

If you or your teachers think that you could achieve better grades, you can choose to re-take your exam. 

What is a retake?

An exam counts as a retake if you have sat the same syllabus in the past year. 

Contact us to find out the deadline to apply for retakes for Cambridge International Examinations (CIE).

What you need to do

If you are a school student you need to speak to your school exams coordinator. If you are a private student you need to provide your: 

  • previous centre number
  • candidate number
  • confirmation of syllabus retake.

Note: the retake option may not apply to all subjects. You can usually submit previously used coursework so you will only need to retake written exams. Any coursework that is resubmitted needs to meet the requirements of the syllabus in the new exam series and must be re-assessed.


Teams of examiners assess every exam paper. They are specialists in their subjects, and follow a strict marking scheme. Principal examiners oversee the process to make sure that grades are awarded fairly. 

If a student is awarded a grade that differs significantly from their teacher’s prediction or comparative performance, their exam is automatically re-checked and often re-graded. Borderline grades are also re-marked to ensure the grade is fair. 

The exam marking process is carefully designed to be fair to all students. However, if you feel that your exam result does not represent your work, you can ask to have your paper re-marked. 

Request a re-mark

If you are a school student and believe that your exam results are incorrect, you should talk to your teacher. If your teacher agrees that you should request a re-mark, you will need to contact your school or the British Council as soon as possible. There may be limited time period in which you can do this. You may need a letter from your teacher to support your request, and in most cases you will have to pay a re-marking fee. 

If you are a private candidate, you should contact the British Council as soon as possible as there is a limited time period. Please contact us for more information. 

For Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) candidates: Get the 'Enquiry About Results form' from the British Council Examinations Services counter. 

For Pearson Edexcel candidates: Get the 'Enquiry About Results form' from the British Council Examinations Services counter. 

Remember: your grade and mark may be lowered, confirmed or raised following the enquiry. If your grade is raised, you may be entitled to a full refund for this service. 

Teachers and exam officers must obtain consent from a candidate before ordering a examination re-mark. For Pearson Edexcel candidates, you must complete a Candidate Consent Form.


Group reports

Teachers may want to order detailed reports on the exam performance of a group of candidates or a whole class of students. 

The British Council allows you to order reports for groups of up to five, up to 15, or groups of 16 and more. 

To place an order for exam reports, you will need written consent from each candidate.