This role is responsible for the end to end accounting process in British Council Zambia and Zimbabwe, including month and year end close, and ensures consistent, accurate and robust financial accounting processes in line with accounting practices and corporate policies.
|Closing date||Tuesday 29 August 2017|
The role will manage a team of accountants which may be based in multiple locations. The post-holder will (across operations in Zambia and Zimbabwe):
- Complete all financial tasks required for the financial month end process, being accountable to the Financial Controller for the pre-closing and month end closing steps, including maintenance of accounting records. As part of this the role will also be responsible for carrying out all accounting transactions and adjustments (accruals, deferrals and provisions), including Intercompany accounting, ensuring appropriate use of these in line with accounting rules.
- Assist with manual journals and off-system payments requests ensuring accuracy and compliance with relevant policies.
- Assist with reconciliation of all relevant accounts and ensure that this is completed to corporate standards.
- Ensure that local external accounting requirements are adhered to.
- Preparation of local Tax submissions and other statutory returns to Financial Controller for approval
- Support in identifying issues and resolution in relation to financial accounting matters.
- Produce periodic reports relating to financial accounting for the operation as requested by Financial Controller.
- Complete Travel & Expenses audits as per policy addressing issues in a promptly manner.
- Supports Financial Controller with the creation of billing documents once the process has been initiated by the countries operations.
- Support the process of Income in kind submissions including maintenance of supporting documentation.
- Responsible for provision of information to internal / external auditors.
- Assist in the implementation of audit recommendations.
- Responsible for ensuring integrity of cash collection process.
- Responsible for ensuring integrity of customers refund process.
- Ensure compliance with treasury policy.
- Manage fixed assets registrar (FAR) and reconciliation.
Regional and Functional Team Working:
- Ensure Performance Management process in undertaken to meet corporate requirements.
- Contribute to ensuring the policies, procedures and systems are delivered with integrity.
- Work closely and effectively as part of the regional and global finance teams.
- Actively support equality and diversity and work to the British Council’s Equality Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) policy at all times.
How to apply
Applicants who meet the essential requirements of the post should visit our jobs portal and follow the instructions in the How do I apply section carefully. Kindly note we will not accept any applications sent through hand deliveries, post and or email.
The British Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer – applications are welcomed from all; our policy on Equality, Diversity and Inclusion can be seen here
The British Council is also committed to a Child Protection Policy, applications will be considered only for candidates who declare their agreement to the policy, which can be seen here